Monday, January 31, 2011

More and More Settled In!

Okay, I just have to tell you guys more about the food! At the school cantine they serve fish head! I would never even think of buying something like this, but I guess my friend cheeky would. It is just the head of a fish! I guess I'm not qualified to say too much about the subject (I'm fairly certain I have never eaten fish in my life) but I feel that if you only want to eat a part of the fish it should be the middle. I hate to give you guys a bad visual but they eat the eyes too. Please tell me you American fish eaters out there don't do this. Also for breakfast its bread. Like four pieces of bread. They don't put butter or jam on it or anything haha. For Lunch almost every day I have fried yam in this sauce stuff. Its AMAZING! Also I eat a whole bunch of rice.

One thing I absolutely love about Ghana is that people are always outside. In the morning when I leave for school all the adults are out and about with huge baskets on their heads. When I come home all the kids are out. I would see them out half naked playing soccer and other games. I started to play with Richmond and the other kids would join in. The kids around my home love me! The little ladies come to me wanting to teach me hand games or jump rope games. The little boys want me to swing them around or chase them. Richmond, my brother, can have fun with anything at anytime. He is so cute! Yesterday he found a piece of styrofoam with a string tied on. When I came outside he was kicking it around and twirling it around his head. We played soccer with it and then I tied it up and we hit it like a pinata until it was just pieces. He did not give up though. We then picked up the chunks and hit them to each other using our slippers like rackets. The kids here are amazing.

Walking to school is like walking down a long catwalk. Everyone looks at me. They thinks it is awesome to see a white person wearing a school uniform. The first day when I walked to school they would all shout "Yavu! Yavu!" meaning "white person" and I would wave and smile. A few days later and they would still do this so I started saying "No no yavu. Emefa." Now when I pass they all shout "Emefa! Emefa!" They are so cute!

This weekend was Mary and Emil's first wedding anniversary! Them, Florance, Esther, and Me went to the pool and celebrated. Nobody in my family knows how to swim! So we didn't really swim; we just talked. It was sooo much fun I think I was laughing the entire time. I found out, though, that saying "You are crazy" or "You're so silly" is an insult here. Sorry Richmond! They said they knew I didn't mean anything by it (thank Goodness!). And when they say someone is  big or fat its not an insult, just a description.

Church is very very different. Its about three hours long. It is very loud and people are dancing around the room during the song. At GSLC we have a moment of silence for prayer but here they have moments of noise for prayer. Everyone with instruments play them and people with maracas shake them and everyone prays out loud. Its different but its fun too. In the middle, the different age groups split up and have bible study(like Sunday school). Then we get back together and finish up. I miss GSLC so much but I'm trying to adapt here because I think that once I understand the service more, I will enjoy it just as much!

I just want to say thank you! thank you! thank you! for the letters you wrote and the comments here! I get excited to read them.Ill tell you all about my home once I can upload pictures! I got to talk to my parents and sisters this week! It was soooo good! Love you all!

10 comments:

  1. You need to teach Katie how to blog! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog Kenzie. I can't wait to see pictures. We are preparing for a huge blizzard! Love and Miss you,
    Aunt Debi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I have never eaten the fish head or eyeballs. I will ask Jeff if he has.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so exciting! Don't leave out one detail! I can't wait to hear more! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm enjoying your description of life in Ghana! I think that you are lucky that they have enough water that you can take so many showers. Sounds like you are having quite an adventure. And no, I haven't eaten fish (or other) eyeballs. But, you know, it's just what you get used to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad everything is going well Kenz. We miss you bunches but love hearing about life in
    Ghana! I wish I could come and play with the kids too! Sounds like lots of fun.
    You know I haven't eaten any fish eyeballs or heads. And I haven't eaten any fish middles since I was a kid and grandma Betty made me!!
    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. too cool, Mac. glad to hear all your wonderful Ghanaian adventures. and hey! i do know how to Sam! im just not as motivated.. hahaha;) i love you! and i miss you! well skype with sam soon, okay???? bisous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. From now on I'm going to call you yavu even though you're probably going to be practically black when you get back. When you do get back will you please play with styrofoam with me? I love you and miss you Mickey! Oh and be jealous of our huge ice and snow storm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. AWWWWW all of you are awesome! I am very vey glad o hear you all don't eat fish eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeff has never eaten fish eyes either, and he is a true redneck, even if he is from California.

    ReplyDelete